Thursday, May 18, 2006

Hey, Vern, please stop.

The following, very bizarre press release arrived this morning from the office of Dekalb County CEO Vernon Jones. It is a response to this excellent column by the AJC's Cynthia Tucker.

I repeat: this is a real press release.

STATEMENT

REGARDING AJC EDITORIAL

SIGNED BY CYNTHIA TUCKER

May 17, 2006


As the old saying goes:

"You don't get into a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel and paper by the ton."

I want to apologize for aggravating the AJC by saying DeKalb County Government’s hiring practices are better than the AJC's and Cox Enterprise’s hiring practices.

I want to plead with the AJC, “I’se tired. Please don't whup me no mo!!" I don't know many ways I can say it: I have not, will not, shall not condone racism in DeKalb County’s hiring practices.

In the words of a great American, Forest Gump, “that's all I gotta say about that!"

• Vernon Jones

No comments: